We are fast approaching the Yuletide and Christmas frenzy season. You can feel it in the manic joviality, radiant gift purchasing and planning, seasonal food and beverages and carolling in the air. It surrounds us with the scents and sounds of bells, laughter, cinnamon, pine and deep heavy sighs. It’s stressful, fun, joyous intense, and relaxing. It’s true madness! And the truth is I, like most of you, love and hate every minute of it.
But, in all this brilliant, paradoxical madness, do we stop to think about the quality of the feelings we want to offer to the people we gift with presents? When we spend so much time and care to nab a bargain that will make our loved ones burst with joy and thanks, is it truly about the emotions that they will experience rather than the present itself. If you think about this, then you realise that there is a clear path for working a little festive and yuletide magick.
Learning to bless a gift, is an ingenious skill one can develop, and there are truly many ways to do this. Really, it’s just basic enchanting. Whilst the steps and techniques vary for most, they generally include:
- Cleansing of the item
- This can be done through, washing it in holy or full moon water, energy work or reiki, smudging or exposing to sunlight or moonlight.
- Dedication or Blessing of the item
- This is the blessing itself, a clear intention as to the purpose of the item or quality of experience the item is to provide. Can be done with symbolistic ritual, energy work and visualisation, trance journeying, candle empowering, etc.
- Sealing of the Blessing on the item
- This is the final part, where the astral construct of the blessing is anchored and sealed into the item. This most often is simply the visualisation being sealed into the item, or a tying of a thread to the item to symbolise the magick being tied in. (I sometimes, do this when wrapping up presents, and tying the last bow)
You could choose to fill a gift with blessings of warmth, protection and comfort on a Christmas jumper when you’re wrapping it up. You could bless a gift of some delectable soap and moisturiser with the energies of cleansing, spiritual empowerment and beauty glamouring. You could even enchant a toy with the blessings of joy, innocence and sparkly fairy laughter. Let your imagination run wild and be creative with your blessings.
You can even take it up another notch, and match your Christmas wrapping and card with the energy of your blessing. Have gold and yellow colours for vitality, or red and silver for beauty. Use whatever combinations work for you.
One last little trick I like to employ, is using a little herbal witching to really go that super-platinum level of yuletide blessing magick. I make a little bottle of yuletide blessing cologne, to enhance the whole gift experience with the power of enchanted scent.
- 1 small dropper bottle
- 4 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Pine Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 1 drop of Lavender Essential Oil
- Enough tincture of Bay, Cedar and Fir to fill that bottle (this you can make earlier in the year, by steeping fresh leaves of the trees in vodka for a month, and then filtering out and retaining the liquid)
- Place the essential oils into the bottle, cover with your tincture. Then shake and chant the cologne with the energies you want the blessing to covey. I like to bless it with Joy, Comfort and Radiant Hope.
- Then simply place a single drop on the corner of the card you fill in and place on a card before giving the gift away. Think of it like the festive version of spraying a love letter with your perfume.
Give it a go, and let us know how it goes!
By Kristin Walker from Wildthorne and Bone
City Living HedgeWitchery with the Little Witch